Re: SQL possible equivalent

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 30 May 2007 16:35:52 -0700

On May 30, 11:10 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Jeff Kish wrote:
> > I have a script for ms sql server that checks to see if a table exists... if
> > it does it drops it and recreates it.
>
> > I'm wondering how to do this using only sql if possible. I can figure it out
> > using pl/sql but I'm not sure of the correct approach (or even if it is
> > possible) using just sql.
>
> > I realize you can select from user_tab_cols like this:
> > select table_name from user_tab_columns where upper(table_name) = 'ASSET'
>
> > but how do I fit this into a sort of ifdef else sort of flow control in sql?
>
> > Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need to somehow insert
> > pl/sql into the sql?
>
> > thanks
> > Jeff Kish
>
> The issue isn't how ... the issue is why. Oracle is NOT a Microsoft
> product rebranded. The concepts are different, the architecture is
> different, and kludges such as the one you are asking about used in
> SQL Server only because of its Ingres origins are possible but never
> done by people who learn the product.
>
> So the answer is you can do it using Native Dynamic SQL but you should
> instead learn Oracle unless you wish to write really really bad code.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Minor point - The first version of SQL Server was a port of Sybase to the Wintel platform, not Ingres. Sybase still calls its version of SQL: T-SQL. Jeff, look up execute immediate. Using a little PL/SQL it would be fairly easy to write a piece of code that could resume where a prior install/upgrade failed using a progress control table to track what succeeded, failed, etc ....

You could also use a perl script to control execution of the necessary DDL scripts where you have a script for every object.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed May 30 2007 - 18:35:52 CDT