Re: SQL*PLUS select statment

From: sunadmn <sunadmn_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2007 12:09:09 -0700

On May 30, 11:35 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> sunadmn wrote:
> > Afternoon all I have a simple query that I am running to get a dataset
> > for BIRT. The query runs fine but I need to manipulate the data into a
> > single column; Here is an example:
>
> > SQL> select
> > ONLINEFX.EVERYDAY_SUMMARY.COUNT,ONLINEFX.EVERYDAY_SUMMARY.GOOD_COUNT,ONLINEFX.EVERYDAY_
> > SUMMARY.FAIR_COUNT,ONLINEFX.EVERYDAY_SUMMARY.UNACCEPTABLE_COUNT
> > 2 from ONLINEFX.EVERYDAY_SUMMARY
> > 3 where ONLINEFX.EVERYDAY_SUMMARY.PERIOD = to_char(sysdate-1, 'YYYY-
> > MM-DD');
>
> > COUNT GOOD_COUNT FAIR_COUNT UNACCEPTABLE_COUNT
> > ---------- ---------- ----------
> > ------------------
> > 6577 6146 91 340
>
> > I want to have the data returned in the format of multiple rows and a
> > single column like this:
>
> > COUNT 6577
> > GOOD_COUNT 6146
> > FAIR_COUNT 91
> > UNACCEPTABLE_COUNT 340
>
> > I know this has to be possible, but I lack the SQL skill to get to
> > where I need to be if anyone could give me some pointers or point me
> > to a good ref doc that would be great.
>
> > Cheers,
> > -Steve
>
> Morgan's Library atwww.psoug.org
> Look up DECODE.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Daniel,

I think my last message was lost somehow, I apologize if this is a double post. From what I gather on DECODE its an if/than/else substitution method which is not the result I am looking for. Let me try to explain this a bit better. I have a simple select statement that returns data in the form of:

column column column column
data data data data

This is good but inorder to read the "data" back into my reporting tool I need it to look like this:

data
data
data
data

Now as long as we keep the original horizontal ordering (left -> right = up -> down) I have no need for the column names anymore. Am I way off base here with what I am trying to get? Did I overlook something in the DECODE docs?

Thanks,
-Steve Received on Wed May 30 2007 - 14:09:09 CDT