Re: SQL possible equivalent

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:34:58 -0500

Jeff Kish wrote:
> I have a script for ms sql server that checks to see if a table exists... if
> it does it drops it and recreates it.
>
> I'm wondering how to do this using only sql if possible. I can figure it out
> using pl/sql but I'm not sure of the correct approach (or even if it is
> possible) using just sql.

Even in SQL Server, you can't do this with just SQL statements. You need to use T-SQL statements. It may be splitting hairs, but there is a distinction here...

> I realize you can select from user_tab_cols like this:
> select table_name from user_tab_columns where upper(table_name) = 'ASSET'
>
> but how do I fit this into a sort of ifdef else sort of flow control in sql?
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need to somehow insert
> pl/sql into the sql?

Sybrand already provided the solution for you. But I would point out that one does not insert PL/SQL into SQL, but rather the other way around....

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net