Re: Nested Table Question

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 30 May 2007 07:24:26 -0700

On May 30, 10:14 am, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've never dealt with Nested Tables. I've read a bit on them, and it
> says you cannot move them. The nested table is supposed to reside in
> the same tablespace as its master table, but this is not so.
>
> I moved the master table to a new tablespace, and the nested table
> stayed where it was. So, my question is, if I export the table, drop
> it, and import it to the new tablespace, will the nested table drop
> and recreate as well?
>
> Thanks!

What version of Oracle?
What is your reference for the cannot move statement?

If you export, drop, and imp a table that contains a nested table definition then I do believe that the nested table will be exported, dropped, and recreated along with the base table. This should be easy for you to test.

I suggest using nested tables only in pl/sql code and not using the feature in permanent tables stored in the database. See Export Oralce Database Architecture by Tom Kytes from Apess for a good explanation of using Oracle object types and reasons to not use them in the database.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed May 30 2007 - 09:24:26 CDT