Re: NLS_DATE_FORMAT in jdbc

From: CM Wong <cmwong2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 May 2007 00:31:20 -0700

On 5月30日, 下午2時54分, Laurenz Albe <inv..._at_spam.to.invalid> wrote:
> CM Wong <cmwo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've seen many discussion on setting NLS_DATE_FORMAT. But when I tried
> > to set NLS_DATE_FORMAT inside jdbc, it didn't seem to have any effect.
> > Please see my codes below. Anyone has an idea?
>
> [...]
> > Statement stat=conn.createStatement();
>
> > stat.execute("alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT='YYYY-DD-
> > MM HH24:MI:SS'");
>
> > ResultSet rs=stat.executeQuery("select trade_date from
> > indx");
> > while (rs.next())
> > System.out.println(rs.getObject(1)); // *** new
> > format not effective here ***
>
> [...]
>
> That's hardly surprising.
> What you get with rs.getObject(1) is an instance of java.sql.Date, which
> then is converted to a java.lang.String using its toString() method.
>
> And java.sql.Date.toString() certainly won't depend on a previous
> ALTER SESSION SQL statement.
>
> Try to use rs.getString(1) instead and see if it makes a difference!
>
> I'm too lazy to try if that will work (probably not), but here's what
> will certainly work:
>
> Change the SQL statement to
>
> SELECT to_char(trade_date) FROM indx
>
> because then Oracle and not Java converts the date to a string.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe- 隱藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 顯示被引用文字 -

Thanks for your reply. I'm surprise to see that the output from getString(1) is different from getObject(1), but it's still not the date format I want in the "alter session" statement. Unfortunately, I can't use to_char() because I don't know the column name in advance. In fact, in my production code running in tomcat, it simply returns all the columns to the web browser, which then display the needed columns selected by the user.

Regards,
CM Received on Wed May 30 2007 - 02:31:20 CDT