Re: way to implement sqlplus break on in sql

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 May 2007 16:24:44 -0700

On May 24, 12:19 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> sybrandb wrote:
> >> Show where?
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org-Hide quoted text -

> > Here....
> > select
> > (case
> > when depno = lag(depno) over (order by depno)
> > then null
> > else depno
> > end) depno,
> > name
> > from
> > emp
>

> > Time to get spectacles, Daniel? Or just more coffee ? ;)
>

> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>

> I'm wearing them. ;-)
>

> Go to the top of this email and the OP wrote "break on." Search for the
> word "break" in the body of the text? If it is there I still can't find
> it and neither can the 'find' functionality.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately I am not in front of my work terminal but I believe that the OP is referring to the SQLPlus break command which can be used to supress printing repeating column values. I changed depno to deptno and name to ename and ran the SQL against the old Oracle EMP table. As expected the posted SQL only displays the department number once per department along with the employee name, I was interrupted before I had time to verify that the ename returned is in fact in the associated department though I expect it is.

{ text removed }
ENAME JOB SAL
---------- --------- ----------

WARD       SALESMAN        1250
MARTIN                               1250
TURNER                              1500
ALLEN                                1600
             sum             5600

sum                       29025

14 rows selected.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu May 24 2007 - 18:24:44 CDT