Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:09:12 -0700

www.douglassdavis.com wrote:

> On May 24, 12:49 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> www.douglassdavis.comwrote:
>>> but, you are judging me based on your own abilities.
>> I think you are being judged one the basis that every one of us,
>> at some time, has suffered slow-death by PowerPoint from someone
>> who truly didn't know the subject but figured they knew enough to
>> teach it.
>>
>> What we hope to do is to either help you realize how skewed your
>> perceptions and thus learn what you need to teach it properly or
>> to find someone to co-teach and thus give your students the
>> opportunity to learn the subject matter beyond just rote
>> memorization of syntax.
>>
>> Our judgment of your based only upon what you've posted here
>> so we may be underestimating your knowledge. But if that is the
>> case ... consider that your students will see the same "you."
>
> the message I was replying to specifically was more along the lines of
> "i thought i could do it, i couldn't do it, so you probably can't
> either."    some people are focused on me learning what i need to
> teach, but some are focused on telling me it's impossible to do so
> just quit.
>
> again, i totally understand what you are saying, and i respect the
> experiences of all of the people here.  that's the reason why i didn't
> just go out and read a book and call it a day.  learning what I need
> to learn is the entire purpose of "research" and "getting prepared"
> which I am currently in the process of doing.

Here's a self-test of whether you can learn enough to teach the class.

Explain this:

CREATE TABLE mvcc_test AS
SELECT * FROM all_objects;

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM mvcc_test;

variable z REFCURSOR

BEGIN
   OPEN :z FOR
   SELECT * FROM mvcc_test;
END;
/

DELETE FROM mvcc_test;

COMMIT; SELECT COUNT(*) FROM mvcc_test;

print z

I think you can do it. But I think it will be extremely difficult and I am not sure you know enough to appreciate how much you don't know.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington