Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 08:51:30 -0700

hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> On 24 mai, 01:53, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>> In practice,you cannot make your application as database independent
>>> by writing lots of stored procedures inPL/SQL. That's the reason
>>> people avoid PL/SQL because it is a proprietary Language of Oracle.
>> Sorry but that's nonsense.You can doit and the better companies with
>> the better products do doit.

> Daniel, I have to say with Zizag that having to maintain
> synchronized a sizeable code base of stored procedures
> in three or four dialects is for me a *very* frightening
> perspective.

Not if done properly?

Consider that Oracle supports this very same database on multiple versions of Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, etc. And they do it with essentially one code base while taking advantage of those aspects of each that are product specific.

There is nothing stopping good developers from doing that too. Except laziness. To do so would require learning the products and most front-end developers are far too impressed with their ability to say "class hierarchy" and "polymorphic" to learn about the database.

> I suspect that only few companies - with lots of
> resources and very strong processes - will go that route

Likely you are correct. That doesn't make it something to be copied or envied. It is far easier to claim "independence" than it is to read one of Tom Kyte's books.

> Would you have examples of actual products that
> achieve database independance with SPs?

Yes but I sign NDAs so I can't be too specific. One though is a CRM product that supports both SQL Server and Oracle built by a company in Bellevue Washington founded by former Microsoft employees. Another an accounting program, again from a Bellevue company built to run on Informix, SQL Server, and Oracle. I expect to see the same for the Oracle apps stack.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington