Why is OCI discouraged and where can I find some simple demo programs?

From: Charles T. Smith <cts.private_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:53:14 +0200

I need to add an Oracle database to a C program. It's great that Oracle makes 10g available for free. But I've spent hours looking for information and tutorials for a C API and it's unproportionally difficult compared to similar products (e.g. solaris) for find anything.

In fact, I finally identified OCI and some simple demo programs - like cdemo81.c (from
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14250/ociabdem.htm#i459676) ... but it's in the 8.1 release. In my 10g release, I only find demos for special facilities. There is no access to the files from that web site. Also not on the Oracle web site. Also not on the net.

So, it looks like there was reasonable documentation, and it has been removed from the distribution.

What does Oracle have against C? Received on Thu May 24 2007 - 06:53:14 CDT