Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 May 2007 17:30:16 -0700

On May 22, 12:53 pm, Doug Davis <douglass_da..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> I appreciate your and Franks concern. I learn from books, as well as
> from other people's practical experiences. Books often cover theory
> well, but contain ideas that are just not practical. I get the
> practical side from asking people who have worked on it for a while.
> Even though I do I already have my own opinions regarding the
> questions I asked, I do think that asking these questions has lead to
> an interesting conversation here.

You have to be very careful, skeptical even, when "asking people who have worked on it for a while." There have been a number of myths and legends that have grown over time, some famous, some obscure. Google for things like separating index and data tablespaces, tablespace fragmentation, http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/untested.html , even "oracle myths."

IMO this is even more of a problem in the particular space you are asking about. People barely get things to work, show other people how to do it, and eventually that's a best practice. You wind up with people advocating not using referential integrity, letting apps handle referential integrity, oh don't get me started.

> Sorry if this sounds harsh but I find it interesting when people who
> don't have some ability, or know of some oneelse who doesn't have an
> ability want to tell you that you can't do something. I take pride in
> my ability to learn anything very quickly. So, like the bumper sticker
> says, "lead, follow, or get out of the way" :-)

I used to think knowing 4 generations worth of programming languages would let me learn anything very quickly, but I don't think that any more.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Just because you can do something fast doesn't mean you should. There's a whole business world full of crap. Difficult to lead when you are slogging through that.

Of course, most of my business is based on fixing the problems generated by the usual ways things are done, so I can't really complain. But I can point out systemic problems, and I agree with Daniel here, you (rather, the idea that you can properly teach any and all things with some surfing about) may be one of them.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/feature/horseshoes-and-hand-grenades-joel-johnson-returnsto-spank-us-all-for-supporting-crap-236310.php