40 gig big oracle database can be done smaller ?

From: Ed Yin <vraagme_at_hotmail.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:56:43 +0200

Hello,

Can someone answere my questions about a hypothetical case..

Let say i run a 9.* oracle database on a unix platform about 40 gig big with employee data in it and i want to chop it into peaces what would be the smartest thing to do if possible.

what do i want to accomplish with this action:

let say an error ocurred and i need to stop/restart the database all database users have to logout or something equal. or i need to add tablespaces or add or change datafiles.

if i have "in my words" more then 1 database let say emp names A and B in DB1, C and D emp names in DB2 and i have a problem within DB1 should the users using DB2 not be influenced by the DB1 error ?

And can some explain if it is possible and how it is done for example to make 1 connection or do 1 update form a application to the 1 record in DB1 or DB2 all in relation to the questions above.

sorry for bad english i hope i wrote my idea in understandable english :)

thanks Ed Received on Tue May 22 2007 - 16:56:43 CDT