Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: <mfullerton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 May 2007 09:19:00 -0700

On May 19, 11:44 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 19, 11:02 pm, Doug Davis <douglass_da..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I will be teaching a PL/SQL class, and I wanted to get some opinions.
> > I read about PL/SQL, but wanted some practical advice from people who
> > have used it.
>
> > 1. Why use PL/SQL instead of just sending SQL queries from a program
> > written in a procedural language on the client side (Java, Visual
> > Basic, C++, anything.)
>
> > 2. What are some examples of "real-world" things that you have done
> > with PL/SQL (or have heard some one do with PL/SQL?)
>
> > thanks.
>
> > --http://www.douglassdavis.com
>
> If you know Java or C++, you are better of using them than using PL/
> SQL. Computers run so fast that performance advantages gained by PL/
> SQL over C++ or Java are very little. On the other hand, if you do not
> know these languages or do not want to write lot of code in them use
> PL/SQL. PL/SQL you can write database centric programs quickly (lot
> less lines of code than JAVA or C++). JAVA or C++ , however, are not
> limited to calling SQL, you can do lot more things. If you are a
> software engineer, have complex big software projects, use Java or C+
> +. On the other hand if you want to write database centric programs
> quickly write them in PL/SQL.
>
> Certain activity such as writing triggers etc can be best done only
> using PL/SQL blocks. Event, tough Java in theory can be called from
> triggers (using Java stored procedures), one has to write convoluted
> code to do it (you still write lots of PL/SQL code).

Ok, from personal experience I have to disagree. However, I am willing to be open minded. Do you have any kind of data to support this? Some examples how the performance is improved enough by using a procedural language that it makes sense to move the business logic out to a different tier?

Mike Fullerton Received on Tue May 22 2007 - 11:19:00 CDT