Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: ton de w <ton_de_winter_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 21 May 2007 09:08:24 -0700

On 20 May, 18:18, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Doug Davis wrote:
>
> > I will be teaching a PL/SQL class, and I wanted to get some opinions.
> > I read about PL/SQL, but wanted some practical advice from people who
> > have used it.
>
> > 1. Why use PL/SQL instead of just sending SQL queries from a program
> > written in a procedural language on the client side (Java, Visual
> > Basic, C++, anything.)
>
> > 2. What are some examples of "real-world" things that you have done
> > with PL/SQL (or have heard some one do with PL/SQL?)
>
> > thanks.
>
> > --
> >http://www.douglassdavis.com
>
> I authored and teach the Oracle program at the University of Washington
> and I must agree with Frank van Bortel when he questions your
> qualification to teach the class. And my apology if the following seems
> a bit cruel... it isn't intended to be such.
>
> Several years ago I brought in a PhD Java programmer who was one of the
> authors of the Hibernate framework to teach one quarter with me. Truly
> a Java genius. But my students knew more about databases than he did and
> while they learned a lot of Java they class evaluation form after the
> quarter was brutal.
>
> Let me give you a short self-test to consider before you teach it.
> 1. When is it appropriate to commit inside of a loop?
> 2. When is it appropriate in 9i or 10g to use a cursor loop?
> 3. When should production code be deployed with stand-alone functions
> and procedures?
>
> If your answer to all three isn't ... "essentially never" ... reconsider.
>
> If you don't understand database concepts and architecture you should
> reconsider teaching the class. If you don't understand the difference
> between thinking in sets and procedural code you should reconsider
> teaching the class. My interpretation of your two questions is that you
> are wholly unqualified.

Hello Doctor,
I dont recall the OP mentioning what level of experience the pupils would have or how long the course would last. So might it be that knowledge enough to answer your 3 questions is simply not required. (eg experince = not much - and duration = 1 day)?

Interesting thread this BTW... Received on Mon May 21 2007 - 11:08:24 CDT