Portlet Invalidation Caching

From: <kenneth.franqueiro_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 May 2007 07:18:58 -0700

I'm currently working on getting a handle on using invalidation caching and manually invalidating portlets in Oracle Portal 10.1.4. I found and followed the
directions in their Developer's Guide (http://download-east.oracle.com/ docs/cd/B14099_19/portal.1014/b14135/pdg_java_adv.htm#CHDGBJIH), but I'm having no luck getting the code for manually invalidating the cache to work. The call to invalidate() always returns 0, i.e. it didn't invalidate anything.

The page DOES cache, and the cache DOES expire when the pageExpires period elapses; it simply doesn't invalidate when I manually tell it to in the code.

Just to be sure, here's a list of what I *have* done:
* added the init-param element inside web.xml

In the way of other possibly-relevant configuration:
* The portlet is on an otherwise blank page with nothing else on it,
and in a provider with nothing else in it.
* The page is set to "Don't Cache".

Things I've noticed thus far:
If I manually clear out the cache for the provider via the portal's interface, I can see in the webcache log that one object does indeed become invalidated. However, if I manually clear out the cache for the *portlet*, it invalidates 0 objects. Not sure whether this is a hint at all as to what's wrong.

I've been struggling with this for a while now, and I'm really not sure what little thing I might be missing, or if I'm entirely off the mark altogether. Any pointers would be
greatly appreciated. I'm bound to have left out some details somewhere, so please say so if there's any further information I can investigate/provide to help narrow down the issue.

Thanks in advance.
--Ken Received on Mon May 21 2007 - 09:18:58 CDT