Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 May 2007 22:54:29 -0700

On 20 mai, 05:02, Doug Davis <douglass_da..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> I will be teaching aPL/SQLclass, and I wanted to get some opinions.
> I read about PL/SQL, but wanted some practical advice from people who
> have used it.
>
> 1. Why use PL/SQL instead of just sending SQL queries from a program
> written in a procedural language on the client side (Java, Visual
> Basic, C++, anything.)

  1. Architecturally, it just makes sense to pack primitive data manipulation operations with the data, that is in the database.
  2. Seconding Ana Dent, network traffic is reduced by a *huge* amount (a factor of 20 in some of our applications)
  3. SQL is nicely integrated in PL/SQL. 3GL code doing SQL is often more tedious and complicated .
  4. Transactions make PL/SQL the only language I know of that is fool-proof in the face of exceptions

Note that some of the advantages above apply to any language running in the database.

> 2. What are some examples of "real-world" things that you have
> done with PL/SQL (or have heard some one dowith PL/SQL?)

50,000 lines of PL/SQL code here, implementing all primitive operations.