Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 03:31:48 GMT

Doug Davis <douglass_davis_at_earthlink.net> wrote in news:1179630172.123167.246530_at_o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> I will be teaching a PL/SQL class, and I wanted to get some opinions.
> I read about PL/SQL, but wanted some practical advice from people who
> have used it.
>

> 1. Why use PL/SQL instead of just sending SQL queries from a program
> written in a procedural language on the client side (Java, Visual
> Basic, C++, anything.)

I contend that PL/SQL reduces network traffic by significant amounts. With SQL you can't do any type of flow control (IF THEN ELSE). With any 3GL lanuage, the results set must be returned back to the 3GL before simple flow control can occur.
While the identical results can be obtained using either approach, I believe that PL/SQL solution(s) can scale to MUCH large databases and/or many more application users.

> 2. What are some examples of "real-world" things that you have done
> with PL/SQL (or have heard some one do with PL/SQL?)
Essentially Oracle Apps are PL/SQL based; which is a whole ERP solution Received on Sat May 19 2007 - 22:31:48 CDT