importing/translating from DBMS en masse to SQL

From: <mabbuttg_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 9 May 2007 12:08:29 -0700

Hi, we're looking at a way to take all of our data in Oracle CODASYL DBMS (running on OpenVMS) and export it into a SQL Server db nightly
(or almost nightly). Currently, we have the CONNX integration/ODBC
connector tool running, from which we can run SQL queries against the DBMS databases, but searching for and collecting even moderate amounts of data takes a long time.

We are, however, making nightly full backups of the databases on the DBMS side. So, I'm wondering if anyone's had success in doing this effeciently in some fashion, possibly using the backup files in some way...

I haven't had a great deal of success with searching for this issue
(other than consultants offering to convert the whole DB to Oracle
RDB, which we don't want to do right now), so any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks! Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 14:08:29 CDT