Re: Optimizer to scan free text

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 May 2007 01:33:59 -0700

On May 8, 8:32 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 11:47 am, Norcale <nilaybha..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to scan a field that has free text. The problem is that
> > the database is huge and it takes hours for the query to come back. I
> > am running a simple query with a like condition. Any ideas as to what
> > optimizer I could use to save some time?
>
> > Thanks
>
> What version and edition of Oracle?
>
> If you have EE (Enterprise Edition) have you considered the Context
> option which provides text indexing and search capabilities.
>
> For that matter is the column in question indexed? Where is the
> explain plan?
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Actually, since 9i Oracle Text comes for free with SE and SE1, too, so it's no-extra-cost option now. It's even there in XE. I would definitely give it a try for this kind of task.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 03:33:59 CDT