Re: customer support identifier

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 16:34:05 -0700

On May 8, 6:46 am, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> > i am working with a reputed company. they must be using the licensed
> > product. since i am a developer here is there any possibility of
> > knowing the cis from my system i.e client or whether the cis will be
> > in read me files or i have to contact the admin.
>
> Just because the Oracle software is licensed does not mean that they
> have a support contract. Oracle support is an additional cost. I know of
> many companies that license Oracle and do not pay for support, thinking
> they will save money over time.

It was my understanding that if you have a valid CSI, you can register for metalink. Having a license implies at least the minimal level of support (ie, downloading your own patches). That's probably why they call it Software Update License & Support. I see you can buy packages of incident support (without updates?!), but I didn't see that you can have a license without any support. Oh wait, I just saw the price lists... maybe you can buy licenses without support. Jeez, you are right Brian. I had only seen companies who let the licensing lapse. (Looking at the Previous Offerings doc, looks like this changed March 2005).

See also http://www.oracle.com/support/policies.html

Hmmmm... "Access to OracleMetaLink is included with Software Update License & Support, Priority Service, Production Support, Incident Server Support, JDeveloper Support, Extended Support, and Sustaining Support. For customers with a current Software Updates service contract, limited access to OracleMetaLink is included for patches and bug fix information."

(And for anyone who missed it, getting back on to support after you let it go is expennnnnnsive, and can be impossible after certain support expires, ie, if you are on O8, you're likely toast.)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Social computing is not dead, it just needs to take care of some