Resetting the instantiation SCN

From: Tarby777 <nick_williamson_at_mentorg.com>
Date: 3 May 2007 09:16:58 -0700

Hi all,

I'm setting up a Streams environment; two 9iR2 databases are involved, with one-way DML replication on a subset of the tables in a single schema. DDL changes are not replicated. In addition to receiving DML changes via Streams, the destination database also has users entering data directly.

I'm wondering how to handle application upgrades in this environment. Our upgrade process amounts to running a SQL script that applies a schema delta and manipulates data, and I don't want the data manipulation that took place in the source database replicated in the target database by Streams. I'm guessing the process should go something like this:

  1. Stop the capture process in the source database
  2. Wait for the apply process in the target database to catch up (if it hasn't), then stop it
  3. Go through the upgrade on each database
  4. Reset the instantiation SCNs in the target database
  5. Start the apply process
  6. Start the capture process

...and hopefully, we carry on as before. Is that going to work? Have I missed something?

TIA
Tarby Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 11:16:58 CDT