Re: Please help with Inserting ID into table from another table in Oracle 9.2

From: MrHelpMe <clinttoris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2007 09:38:21 -0700

On Apr 30, 12:09 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> MrHelpMe wrote:
> >> Why two procedures and not one?
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org-Hide quoted text -

> > Hi DA Morgan,
> > Thanks for the reply. I used 2 procedures originally because I wasn't
> > sure how to accomplish this in 1 procedure. To be honest I just
> > managed to figure this out and it looks like it is definitely working
> > now, however, I need your assistance and ask you and other experts
> > what I can do in the below situation.
>
> > Now that I have the insert working, how can I say the following. Upon
> > insert if the FirstName, LastName and Email address are the same do
> > not insert into the Users table but insert into the other 2 tables all
> > the info. plus the appropriate user id.
>
> What you are asking is unclear but look at the Merge Statement if the
> choice in a single table is insert/update. Look at the INSERT FIRST,
> INSERT ALL, and INSERT WHEN statements.
>
> Also consider doing a SELECT COUNT(*) to determine if the record has
> already been inserted.
>
> You can find all of these in Morgan's Library atwww.psoug.org.
> Look up MERGE and INSERT.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Sorry DA Morgan let me clarify. I'm not sure how much you know about front end coding but I will keep it simple. I have an ASP page that when the user clicks on the page he is asked a serieds of question. Like what is your first name, what is your last name, what is your email adress, what kind of equipment do you want, for what purpose etc. After the user fills in all this information he/she will click a submit button. When they click the submit button, behind the scenes I do an insert into(based on the insert statement that I showed you above) into the users table, hardware table and approver table. Now if Joe Smith fills out this form and then clicks submit and then comes to the page again, fills out the form again and clicks submit, well I would not want to insert his name twice into the users table but rather have unique users being captured in this table. So therefore, how do I code this in the backend to say if the user is not unique don't insert the entry into the users table but all the other info. that he/she submitted will be inserted into the respective tables. I hope this is clear. Please let me know if it is not and in the mean time I will have a look at what you mentioned. Received on Mon Apr 30 2007 - 11:38:21 CDT