Re: Please help with Inserting ID into table from another table in Oracle 9.2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:09:51 -0700

MrHelpMe wrote:

>> Why two procedures and not one?
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

> Hi DA Morgan,
> Thanks for the reply. I used 2 procedures originally because I wasn't
> sure how to accomplish this in 1 procedure. To be honest I just
> managed to figure this out and it looks like it is definitely working
> now, however, I need your assistance and ask you and other experts
> what I can do in the below situation.
>
> Now that I have the insert working, how can I say the following. Upon
> insert if the FirstName, LastName and Email address are the same do
> not insert into the Users table but insert into the other 2 tables all
> the info. plus the appropriate user id.

What you are asking is unclear but look at the Merge Statement if the choice in a single table is insert/update. Look at the INSERT FIRST, INSERT ALL, and INSERT WHEN statements.

Also consider doing a SELECT COUNT(*) to determine if the record has already been inserted.

You can find all of these in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org. Look up MERGE and INSERT.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington