Re: Why Oracle don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as in MySQL

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2007 08:38:05 -0500

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, damorgan_at_psoug.org wrote:

> Galen Boyer wrote:

>>> What I am saying that simple does not trump functional.
>>>
>>> Array processing with BULK COLLECT and FORALL is more complicated
>>> than cursor loops. But it will be a cold day in heck before you see
>>> me implementing cursor loops again.

>> Yet another disingenuous statement. In many situations BULK COLLECT
>> and FORALL allow for far superior performance gains over cursor
>> loops, so it behooves one to learn whatever they should learn to get
>> the better performance benefits. The scenario we are discussing in
>> this thread, on the other hand, have no measurable diffence in
>> performance. The only measurable parameter is maintainability of
>> code.
>
> I don't see any evidence that your statement "have no measurable
> diffence in performance" is valid. The history of autoincrementing
> columns would indicate otherwise. IIRC one of the first things IBM
> did with Informix was add sequences.

Fer Chists sake...

Whatever, jump around all you want Daniel. I'm sure Oracle will implement an autoincrementing column using sequences some day, and then you will be touting just how great they are, but until they do, you will tout that autoincrementing sequences are bad developer habits, poorly architected solutions and just continue to market the koolaid for every single damn piece of functionality that Oracle puts out.

--
Galen Boyer