Re: Why Oracle don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as in MySQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:00:34 -0700

sybrandb wrote:

> On Apr 27, 8:20 am, hasta..._at_hotmail.com wrote:

>>> What I am saying that simple does not trump functional.
>> Daniel, I agree that faster *often* means more complex.
>> It is not always so, however.
>>
>> For a counter-example, consider a many-rows insert
>> SQL statement, which we all know is *damn* faster
>> than an equivalent PL/SQL loop, yet is simpler
>> in many respects.
>>
>> In the case of IDENTITY columns, it is hard to see
>> why they would be slower than sequences.
>>
>> If anything, I would expect them to be marginally
>> faster than assigning a sequence with a trigger,
>> and on par with specification in an insert.
>>
>>> Array processing with BULK COLLECT and FORALL is more complicated
>>> than cursor loops. But it will be a cold day in heck before you see
>>> me implementing cursor loops again.
>> Again, I sympathize with this view.
>>
>> But dont forget that performance is not the only constraint.
>> Development effort and maintainability are other that come
>> to mind. I wouldn't mind a cursor loop in a rarely executed
>> procedure if it is fast enough.
>>
>> In fine, the good engineer must find a solution that
>> fulfills the requirements at the minimum cost
>> (over the whole lifetime of the product)
>>
>> --- Raoul
>
> No one ever calculates that minimum cost.
> Did your ever find a program which has been developed for
> *maintainability*. The basic rules for that were already laid out in
> the 60's and 70's.
> Yet programmers writing at the minimum cost hardcode *everything*
> simply because maintenance costs are *never* calculated.
> In the eyes of most developers the most efficient solution is the
> solution with the least effort on their side, and the highest payment
> from customer.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

An important point Sybrand. I've met few developers who value putting extra effort into what they do to improve the total life-cycle of a product. When they judge "effort" they tend to judge "their" effort.

<DISCLAIMER>
And in case anyone has a knee jerk reaction thinking I'm slamming ALL developers that is not the case or the intent. </DISCLAIMER>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington