Re: Oracle accent

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:37:04 +0200

Gints Plivna schreef:
> boutreau.adrien_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> HI
>>
>> I'm trying to insert into
>>
>>   ACC_REF                  VARCHAR2(20 BYTE),
>>
>> this value : "0123456789012346éaé" (french accent) and i've got this
>> error :
>> 'ORA-01401: ' value is too big. I know the problem with oracle, and if
>> I modify the number of byte the problem is resolved. But, is it
>> possible to format the string before inserting into oracle  and not
>> modifying the number of byte ?
>>
>> Thanks to read me!

> The problem most probably is that your french characters take more
> than one byte i.e. these are multibyte characters. You have to either

Assuming a multi byte character set is used. An assumption I would have made, too, but I have had long discussions, based on wrong assumptions.

> 1) choose another characterset of the db so that your french
> characters are not multi-byte (which actually means rebuild the DB,
> actually just a theoretical solution ;)

Hmmm - there is a program called csscan (Character Set Scan), that will show you whether you can switch from one charset to another. So, this is not theoretical in all situations, but very likely (based on earlier made assumptions) in this case.

> 2) change VARCHAR2(20 BYTE) to VARCHAR2(20 CHAR), so that oracle takes
> more space for this particular column, but you definitely can store 20
> characters not only 20 bytes.

Agree: that would be the "standard": change to character semantics, instead of byte, for multi byte character sets. Seems this is not the case here.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...