Re: moving an oracle nameserver form on server to another

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:54:57 +0200

Lorre schreef:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Can you tell me the different steps how to move an oracle nameserver
> form 1 server to another ?
> I'm relatively new to orcale so if possible i would appreciate it if
> teh steps are detailed!
> I already searched google but didn't find any solutions
>
> Greetz,
> Lennert

ONS?!? That was depreciated when Oracle 8i came around. Which is depreciated, too - all three releases. As is it's successor, 9i Release 1.
And 9i Release 2 is about to be phased out of support. Version 10 already lived through two releases, Version 11 is just ahead.

In short: isn't it time to upgrade? You're about 6 major releases behind.

OT: nothing more than a database with a couple of services. Just install the software (you still have the floppies, don't you?) on the new destination, export source, import at destination, check, check and double check.
The pull the plug on source.

Make sure the helpdesk knows about your actions; make them aware of the changes, needed in the config files for the clients (if any: NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS).
Better yet, have a tnsnames.ora file handy as backup.

BTW google came up with 9200 hits.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel