Re: Performance of REGEXP_LIKE vs LIKE?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2007 08:42:00 -0700

On Apr 19, 6:02 pm, "zstringer..._at_gmail.com" <zstringer..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 7:40 am, keithjgor..._at_hotmail.co.uk wrote:
>

> > Hello.
>
> > You write that "Regular expressions are implemented using Java. You
> > force Oracle to call Java, an interpreted language. The delay would be
> > caused by the architecture."
>
> > I don't think this is always correct. I am using Oracle XE at home and
> > it doesn't install Java and you can't write Java stored procedures.
> > You can still use the "regexp_like" function however. I think
> > therefore that in Oracle XE the regular expressions are not written in
> > Java. Someone else can confirm this is the same in Enterprise and
> > Standard Oracle versions.
>
> > Please correct me if I am wrong - I am still learning Oracle.
>
> > Thank you
> > John
>
> I forgot to mention that I'm using Oracle 10g. I've seen
> implementations of regular expressions in earlier versions of Oracle
> that were done in Java. However, in 10G I think that they're
> implemented using PL/SQL. Can anyone confirm?
>
> Peter

Actually, they are implemented in C and built into the database kernel in all editions. As for the origins of the implementation - hard to tell, but very unlikely that it's Perl. :)

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Thu Apr 19 2007 - 10:42:00 CDT