Re: IOT, memory and transaction time

From: <deja_at_2bytes.co.uk>
Date: 17 Apr 2007 12:52:23 -0700

On Apr 17, 4:37 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> d..._at_2bytes.co.uk wrote:
> > Can anyone help with this?
>
> > The Oracle results are not consistent with what we are seeing on SQL
> > Server....
>
> Absolutely. Push back from the keyboard and buy Tom Kyte's books where
> he explicitly explains the differences in architecture and concepts
> between two very different products.
>
> The results will never be the same.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

I understand the difference in versioning and locking between the 2 products. Unfortunately I do not have time to read the book right now. This requirement is more urgent and I was hoping to get some ideas from someone who maybe has already read the book - I will get around to it later.

So, if anyone with more knowledge than me on the subject (the reason I am posting here in the first place) can help by suggesting why the same SQL against the same data in a table with the same column definitions and virtually the same indexes performs so differently in the 2 RDBMS or can even just tell me why it performs so badly in Oracle, I would very much appreciate it! Received on Tue Apr 17 2007 - 14:52:23 CDT