Re: corret approach/sql to grant differnt logins rights to add/mod/del schema elements for differnt schemas

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:54:12 -0400

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:47:29 +0200, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

>On 15 Apr 2007 13:21:35 -0700, "dombrooks" <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My personal preference is for users to issue SQL with fully qualified
>>schema names and then as long as the objects are fully qualified (i.e.
>><schema>.<object>) and the relevant privileges have been granted
>>(possibly to roles that have subsequently been granted to the users),
>>there's no need for application users to issue any ALTER SESSION SET
>>CURRENT SCHEMA.
>
>As a result you never can have various releases of an app in one
>database, and DBAs are forced to use your schema.
>Both are, as far as I am concerned, very undesirable.
>
>Sybrand Bakker
>Senior Oracle DBA

Well the ancient application suite I'm supporting has no schema names in the sql (a huge amount embedded in c++).

So I'm hoping I can get by with the user feeding the application the schema they want to work on with a username and password and then just connecting and setting the default current schema. I"m really hoping that things don't somehow go south or not work... This way I can just alter the login code.

thanks for all the pertinent information and opinions.

I think I'm going to tell the dba our requirements (so if they want to use roles or whatever they can do whatever dba's do best, and the application will be modiifed to thake the approach I mentioned.

I'll test locally with roles and without roles to make sure I'm not missing something critical. I think I can depend on at least oracle 9i or later.

Regards

Jeff Kish Received on Sun Apr 15 2007 - 20:54:12 CDT