Re: Why Oracle don't have AUTO_INCREMENT as in MySQL

From: kes <abirch_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2007 07:30:02 -0700

Why does this have to be an either/or scenario? Sequences are very powerful and flexible, however, sometimes AUTO_INCREMENT is the right fit.

It's nice to have the power of a sledgehammer, yet sometimes you can use just a regular hammer with a lot less effort.

What if AUTO_INCREMENT automatically associated a field with a sequence. Perhaps similar to PostgreSQL, where you can put in a default value of a sequence's next value.

If you do have any code or application that will automate this, please let me know. I just want to be more productive.

My 2 cents,
Alex

http://www.lifesabirch.org Received on Sun Apr 15 2007 - 09:30:02 CDT