Re: beginner: packaging queries?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2007 06:50:13 -0700

On Apr 10, 4:43 am, "dombrooks" <dombro..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is a trivial step to turn your anonymous plsql blocks into a
> procedure or function, and then into a package should you choose.
>
> Judging by the code in your other post, you can leave most of the code
> as is, just changing 'DECLARE' into the 'CREATE PROCEDURE...'
> statement.

Matt, I would like to point out that procedure and functions are NOT types of queries, but rather are database objects that may contain SQL statements.

As stated converting anonymous code into stored code: procedures, function, and packages is a trivial matter.

Take a few minutes to look at the PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference manual. This manual provides numerous examples using explicit cursors.

The SQL manual also may be of use since it covers CREATE PROCEDURE, CREATE FUNCTION, and CREATE PACKAGE [body].

The manuals are available online. Just follow the links from the main Oracle site: www.oracle.com or go to http://tahiti.oracle.com

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Apr 13 2007 - 08:50:13 CDT