Help needed with INSTR

From: Sandy80 <svarshneymail_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2007 07:27:31 -0700

Hi,

I have a field which has some values which have a paranthesis '(' in them. If there is any such value I want only the data before it. That means if its "PMQ Manager (w/ direct reports)" I only want the value "PMQ Manager".
So I am able to get that value by using:

substr(asg.POSITION_TITLE_DSC,0,INSTR(asg.POSITION_TITLE_DSC, '(')-1)

But the problem is that it gets the values only with a '(' in them. Using a in built PL/SQL function how do I also get the values which do not have a '(' in them?

Any help?

Regards,
Sandy Received on Wed Apr 11 2007 - 09:27:31 CDT