Re: Concatenating and copying columns data

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:09:29 -0700

Usman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbee to Oracle SQL programming. I have a problem where I have
> three columns, A - varchar, B-varchar and C-numeric

Wonderful. Then start by getting the names of the data types in Oracle correct. You do not have a VARCHAR2 column in a table.

Check if the column exists or the value exists? If the later then I think you should hit http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up "Mutating Triggers."

> 2. If 1 is true, convert each alphabet in column A to its equivalent
> ASCII and leave the numeric characters as it is. Therefore, for
> example if I have 'A567', I should have 67567 as an end result,
> assuming ascii code of 'A' is 67.

http://www.psoug.org
click on built-in functions
scan the list for the functions that will accomplish that goal

> 3. Concatenate converted string in 2 above with data inserted in
> column B.

You will find that on the same page.

> 4. Convert to number/long in 3 above and store the data in column C.

This makes no sense. What is number/long?

> Example:
>
> column A = 'A567'
> column B= '1234'
> column C = 675671234
>
> Can anyone please help me implementing this logic?

Just did.

> Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
> Usman

We don't do homework but we do offer hints. Post your work.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington