Re: Oracle book recommendations requested

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2007 06:32:01 -0700

On Apr 5, 10:16 pm, Galen Boyer <galen_bo..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2007, nos..._at_someisp.ca wrote:
> > I have some experience with SQL and some exposure to PL/SQL, and would
> > like to advance my knowledge in both. Ideal would be a book that
> > covers both thoroughly at the intermediate to advanced level, with
> > best practices and examples of solutions to realistic problems. I may
> > be asking too much to find this in one book, so recommendations for
> > separate SQL or PL/SQL books would be appreciated too.
>
> Any book with Tom Kyte as the author.
>
> --
> Galen Boyer

I disagree with the TKyte suggestion for this post. I love Tom's books and have all of them, but while they have specifics for many pieces and I think everyone should own all of them, I find the SQL and PL/SQL sections lacking in true application or rather, they fall short because they weren't intended to be a full, through covering of the SQL subject in depth. Buy Tom's books, but know why you are buying.

If I had to own just two (or three) books at the Oracle intermediate level, I'd probably say Jonathan Lewis' CBO Fundamentals and Dan Tow's Tuning Sql.... or possibly the Art of SQl Received on Fri Apr 06 2007 - 08:32:01 CDT