Re: O9i: How to create a matching index to a given query

From: Andreas Mosmann <mosmann_at_expires-30-04-2007.news-group.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:19:19 +0200

Robert Klemme schrieb am 02.04.2007 in
<57c8klF2bj972U1_at_mid.individual.net>:

> I believe what you say is exactly why Tom Kyte starts his book with the
> chapter "It's a team effort". Developers typically may know their data
> and access patterns but it's usually the DBA's who know Oracle inside out.
The problem is: I am the only member of this team. There is no DBA beside me.

> I personally am a software engineer and I'd say I know a bit about
> Oracle internals - because I'm interested in the matter. But I guess
> the average developer either lacks interest or resources; developers are
> typically not sent to an Oracle DBA training... (Although that
> certainly would be helpful in many cases.)
I have been there and I heard a lot about instance tuning, import/ export, log writer and many other things, but: a little bit of nothing about SQL- tuning. And if there was a question into that direction the answer was: This is a DBA- course, as a DBA you do not need to know this. I think the trainer did not know :(

I sure would visit a course in that field, maybe an Oracle course for developers. But there are only developer- courses for Forms, PL/SQL.

> Kind regards

> robert

Andreas Mosmann

--
wenn email, dann AndreasMosmann <bei> web <punkt> de