Re: utl_smtp -> meeting request

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2007 00:28:12 -0700

On Mar 30, 9:51 am, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <vladimir.zakharyc..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 8:20 am, "GK" <a..._at_c.d> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Is there a way to send out E-mail meeing requests (Outlook) using utl_smtp ?
> > If yes, how ?
> > Oracle version: 9i
>
> > thanks,
> > GK
>
> Yes, it's possible if you know the format of meeting requests sent by
> Outlook. Outlook meeting request is actually just a plain text message
> of MIME type "text/calendar", XML-like in that it's hierarchical, but
> not XML as it uses different tagging scheme: BEGIN: name ... END: name
> on separate lines. Surely there should be no problems emailing plain
> text messages using documented UTL_SMTP API.
>
> Now if the question actually is "what is the format of MS Outlook
> calendar events?" then I have no ready answer but "browse MSDN Library
> athttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library, it may well be documented
> there." Otherwise you can send yourself a few different requests,
> check their raw content and figure out the format.

To save you time on research: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc/2445.txt - Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object Specification (iCalendar). This is what Outlook uses.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Sat Mar 31 2007 - 02:28:12 CDT