Re: need oracle licnese fo 10g RAC and data guard demo or not?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:48:22 GMT

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 07:33:43 -0700, robertchen117_at_gmail.com wrote:

> I want to do POC, I have two questions:
>
> 1. I have two windows server, I want to do a 10g data guard demo,
> should I must have Oracle license to make the data guard working?
>

> 2. I have two Linux server to do the 10g RAC demo, should I must have
> Oracle license to make the RAC working?
>

> Please clarify me, thanks.

Yes, you must have an Oracle license.

Any time you use any software, you must have a license. Even Free and Open Source Software needs a license. If you develop the software, you give yourself a license to use it.

However ...
I suggest you READ the agreement & license at download time (the one to which you click 'I agree' to actually download the software).

The Developer's License (to which you agree) does support some activity without having a 'for fee' license and it MAY actually covery your activity. In other words, you MAY not have to pay any money to use the license.

Read the agreement and verify that it fits your situation. If you don't understand it, ask the Oracle office to interpret it.

If it doesn't fit. Perhaps a 'Trial License' - a time limited license with full access to support - will be more suitable. However, AFAIK those are ONLY available through the local sales office, as Oracle Sales ends up paying your support during the trial.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!