Re: College finals help! End User input in PL/SQL?

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:11:23 GMT

kevx <camarosxs_at_tampabay.rr.coim> wrote in news:4604f7ec$0$4851$4c368faf_at_roadrunner.com:

> sybrandb_at_gmail.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:13:09 -0400, roadrunner <kevx_at_tampabay.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Help! I have a final due tomorrow and suddenly they throw in a
>>> problem that requires end user input, which we've never covered.
>>> They give a hint but it doesn't help much.
>>>
>>> Here's what is required:
>>> 1.0 Employee Master File/Table
>>> 1.1 Design the Employee Table using the following table
>>> specifications (10 Points)
>>>
>>> Field Name Data Type Description
>>> Employee_Code Text Primary Key
>>> Employee_SSN Text Social Security Number
>>> First_Name Text Employee First Name
>>> Last_Name Text Employee Last Name
>>> Employee_Doe Date Employee Date of Employment
>>> Employee_Dpt Text Employee Department
>>> Hourly_Rate Currency Employee Wage Hourly Rate
>>> Annual_Salary Currency Employee Annual Salary
>>>
>>> 1.2 Create a BERFORE INSERT trigger that will compute both the
>>> Employee Code
>>> and the Annual Salary. Include your program source code with your
>>> documentation. (70 Points)
>>>
>>> 1.3 Write a PL/SQL program that will prompt the end-user to enter
>>> some of the
>>> values of the Fields in step 1.1 above. Include your program source
>>> code with your documentation. (70 Points)
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> Enter Value for Employee First Name………………..……
>>> John Enter Value for Employee Last Name…………………...…
>>> David Enter Value for Employee
>>> SSN……………………............. 123456789 Enter Value
>>> for Employee Employment Date……............... 12/12/2005
>>> Enter Value for Employee Department Name……………..
>>> Engineering Enter Value for Employee Hourly
>>> Rate…………………… 20.50
>>>
>>> a. After the end-user has finished inputting the above data for
>>> an employee, the PL/SQL program will automatically insert the record
>>> into the employee Master Table.
>>>
>>> b. This record insertion action will trigger a BERFORE INSERT
>>> Trigger which will compute both the Employee Code and the Annual
>>> Salary
>>>
>>> Here is the hint that they give:
>>>

>>> SET SERVEROUTPUT ON FEEDBACK OFF
>>> DECLARE
>>> EmployeeFirstName VARCHAR2(25);
>>> BEGIN
>>> EmployeeFirstName := &Employee_First_Name;
>>>
>>> EXCEPTION
>>> WHEN OTHERS THEN
>>> NULL;
>>>
>>> END;
>>>
>>> Running this gives this error:
>>>
>>> ERROR at line 4:
>>> ORA-06550: line 4, column 24:
>>> PLS-00201: identifier 'JO' must be declared
>>> ORA-06550: line 4, column 3:
>>> PL/SQL: Statement ignored
>>>
>>> Huh? The variable is now named JOE instead of containing Joe? Am I
>>> doing something wrong? Wow I'm so bummed over this because I know
>>> what to do once I have this but can't figure it out. Anyone?
>>
>> The code provided is incorrect. If you still don't know how to
>> address this, you deserve to fail the final. You don't deserve to
>> succeed the final by cheating, by getting help from this forum.
>> In the big world out there nobody will hold your hand.
>>
> What a jerk. Seeking the answer is not cheating.

Using another person's answer is NOT cheating exactly how/why? What is the difference between copying the answer from a person sitting in the desk/chair next to you on a test than copying the answer from Usenet?
In both cases the answer is not really your own. How again is this NOT cheating? Received on Sat Mar 24 2007 - 09:11:23 CDT