Re: Best Oracle front end / Query tool for power users

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:48:20 -0700

AlterEgo wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I am only suggesting that Excel has its place in most organizations, and if
> need be can be incorporated in a process flow that is SOX compliant. And,
> simply using Excel in a non-compliant way (as most organizations do, large
> and small) does not constitute a violation of law. Much in the same way that
> allowing weak passwords is non-compliant, but not a violation of law. I am
> not suggesting Excel is a be-all for enterprise reporting.

I think we are in reasonably good agreement with one exception.

What is it anyone can do in Microsoft Excel they can not do better, and with full compliance and auditing, using an Oracle tool?

Let me give you from my personal experience the nightmare scenario at a Fortune 500 company. Different managers were coming into a meeting, each with their own spreadsheet, each based on the exact same numbers. All were different.

When the auditors heard of it they found that the numbers were being "corrected" and that business decisions were being made in the meetings. One mid-level VP was quietly escorted to the door a week later.

Were they in strict technical violation of the law? Perhaps not. Did it matter? Not one bit. I'll go with the Oracle tool every time.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington