Re: Best Oracle front end / Query tool for power users

From: AlterEgo <alterego55_at_dslextreme.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:57:34 -0700

Daniel,

The use of Excel does not violate the SOX law. Non-compliance by error or lack of a compliant process does not violate the law. The law is violated when Title VIII has been breached, having nothing to do with Excel. The operative word in Title VIII is "...knowingly..."

A report in Excel can very well have an audit trail and protection against alteration. And, it can be implemented with the controls necessary to pass any SOX audit. I've been through an IPO SOX audit and had to make policy and procedural adjustments to Excel usage.