Q: problem applying constraint

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 19 Mar 2007 10:24:12 -0800

I wish to enable a not null constraint, but I can't, and I'm wondering where I should start looking to solve this. In case it makes a difference, the column in question has been added and removed several times during development.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

	SQL> alter table TTT_requests modify  RECEIVED_DATE    DATE not null ;
	alter table TTT_requests modify  RECEIVED_DATE    DATE not null
	*
	ERROR at line 1:
	ORA-02296: cannot enable (TTT.) - null values found

	SQL> select count(*) from  TTT_requests where RECEIVED_DATE is null ;

	  COUNT(*)
	         0

	1 row selected.

So, no nulls, but can't enable a not null constraint. Also, I notice the message looks odd, "(TTT.)" though I don't know if that is an issue here or irrelevent.

Thanks for feedback. Received on Mon Mar 19 2007 - 13:24:12 CDT