Re: ORA-12571/TNS-12571

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Mar 2007 15:01:45 -0700

On Mar 12, 5:32 am, pp <p..._at_mm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Tru64 5.1B-4 and Oracle 9i.
> I got the following ORA-12571 error when executed svrmgrl SQL*PLUS:
>
> You are attempting to invoke sql*plus or Server Manager (svrmgrl) and
> recweive the following error message:
>
> ORA-12571 or TNS_12571:
> ORA-12571, 00000, "TNS:packet writer failure"
> Cause: An error occurred during a data send.
>
> You receive this error message before any connected message is produced
> and regardless of whether your database is up or down.
>
> Note: This occurs on Digital UNIX when the node on which Oracle is
> starting is
> part of a Digital Trucluster.
> Configuration of the Trucluster software is incomplete.
>
> We have no trucluster software install in the server. I am not sure
> whether this is the cause of the problem.
>
> Any suggestion is very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Well, am I at least correct in that it looks like you resolved it? That is you posting the solution over in the ITRC, right?

This problem had been resolved by decreased the shmmax in the /etc/ sysconfigtab file and added inet section in the sysconfigtab as well. I am not sure which one makes that work, by decreasing the shmax or the inet or the both.
Does anyone got any suggestion?

thanksP

If I were you, I'd simply back one of the changes out, test it, and then you may have a better idea. If it's a parameter issue, I will say that it's been my experience (not to be wise) that the Oracle manuals NORMALLY detail this information for a given platform pretty well. You may want to go back and skim through that information because there could very well be other parameters that could give you a problem later on.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Fri Mar 16 2007 - 17:01:45 CDT