CLOB updates using ADODB not showing in trace file

From: SR <srng_at_goawaynms-sys-ltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:17:04 +0000

Oracle 8i database on Solaris 9. I know 8i is old, but given that (in our case) Oracle are happy to take the money and provide extended support, then I feel perfectly within rights to post a question here, so please, try none of the tiresome replies on getting upgraded.

SQL_TRACE is set to TRUE at the database level.

Initially trace was being enabled via a logon database trigger, but since we noticed the problem I am about to describe we also switched it on at database level to be sure.

The problem is that updates to CLOB columns on the database in a VB app are not showing up in the trace files. Granted, the "Updates" are being performed via the ADODB AppendChunk method (and not via direct SQL), but I would have thought that the ADODB API would have to present pucka SQL (or PLSQL) to Oracle. The columns value is being updated - we can see it change. Either this method is somehow bypassing the SQL layer (how likely is that?), or trace gets turned off for the duration of the "update". Just to add to the confusion, the SQL statements before and after the CLOB "update" are present.

We have noticed no difference between enabling trace via "alter session set sql_trace=true" and the event 10046 command (cant remember exact syntax).

MTS is not enabled - server connection is dedicated. Even so, we have searched all the trace files in udump in case there was some separation of the trace info into different files occurring.

Anyone seen this? Received on Wed Mar 07 2007 - 12:17:04 CST