ORA-12505

From: it's hot here <it's_at_hot.here>
Date: 01 Mar 2007 14:35:16 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to create and use a database link to database A. I create it like this:

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK dev_link
CONNECT TO <user>
IDENTIFIED BY <pass>
USING '<SID>';

where the items in <> are replaced by the actual values. This part is OK.

When I try and use dev_link in database B, I get an ORA-12505:

SELECT *
FROM TABLE_at_DEV_LINK
     *
ERROR at line 14:
ORA-06550: line 14, column 10:
PL/SQL: ORA-04052: error occurred when looking up remote object <user>.TABLE_at_DEV_LINK
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor
ORA-06550: line 13, column 5:
PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored

I've searched for some help to this problem and found not a lot that I can understand: this happens because database B does not know about database A? If that's the case, how can I make B aware of A? I would like to do this with a script, that is, not in a GUI setting. I want this to run every day (since database B is refreshed every night)

Thanks,
Andrew