Re: Need workaround for Oracle Mutating table

From: <arup1111_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2007 13:29:51 -0800

I was just referred to this thread by someone. Sorry; I don't frequent this list, which explains the delay in the response. I am the author of the MetaLink Note. There are a few things I need to say about the note.

(1) It was written 12 years ago, in 1995, for Oracle 7.1. That's
right; 12 years ago. Those days there was no MetaLink. There was this focurm on CompuServe (old timers will probably remember that, especially the fourm called "orauser"). Another forum was called "orasupport", the precursor to the present day MetaLink. When MetaLink appeared, Oracle placed some of the docs (even from customers) on MetaLink.

(2) I wrote the contents in response to a member's question. I also
presented the same solution in Oracle World that year. My presentation was detailed; but the response was not. The response was highly contextual and illustrious in nature to demonstrate a way to resolve a thorny issue. There was no intention of going into all possible combinations of the problem and how they would all play out. My presentation did that, however.

(3) The article is, well, 12 years old. Today the solution could be
much simpler, e.g. use of autonomous transaction

So, Anurag, I hope I have presented the case to why this should not by considered to be "pity" for what I wrote.

Regards,

Arup Received on Wed Feb 28 2007 - 15:29:51 CST