Re: newbie question about join

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2007 12:27:26 -0800

On Feb 23, 7:34 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> sean nakasone wrote:
> > I'm a little bit confused, are these two select statements synonymous?
> > The second one has a 'join...on', while the first one does not.
>
> > select t.* from user_tab_cols t, user_all_tables a
> > where t.table_name = a.table_name;
>
> > select t.* from user_tab_cols t join user_all_tables a
> > on (t.table_Name = a.table_name);
>
> One is ISO syntax the other ANSI. They are both inner joins.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Another way to describe these would be to say that the first is the traditional syntax for writing a join while the second is the newer syntax introduced in the ANSI-92 standard. Both methods are fully compatiable with the most recent ANSI standard and I am unaware of any differences between the ANSI and ISO standards on join syntax.

An excellent book on SQL from Apress is "Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus" by the late Lex de Haan. Lex worked for Oracle from 1990 - 2004 and worked with the ISO standard committee.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sun Feb 25 2007 - 14:27:26 CST