Re: Moving Oracle XE System & Data Files?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:04:08 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 06:56:31 -0800, Jack wrote:

> 1. Can all the XE *.dbf files (system, data, logs, etc.) be moved to
> another filesystem without the XE crashing and burning?

If you are careful, yes. Just make sure to shut down the database first.

> 2. If so, what is the best way to do it without destroying the XE?

Ever heard of 'special link' ... ln -s ...? That's what I did.

> 3. For the future, can the Oracle XE installer be more flexible in
> where you place things? Or is this a case of "you get what you pay for
> - take it or leave it"?

Pretty much 'take it or leave it' for now. Perhaps they will listen for the next release. (Coincident with 11g, we hope.)

<sigh>
Oracle tried to be nice by not using the universal installer for XE - Straight forward, minimal thinking, stuff it into a fairly universal spot. And every day I hear whining about the lack of flexibility in the XE installation.
</sigh>

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!