Moving Oracle XE System & Data Files?

From: Jack <jrscrns_at_comcast.net>
Date: 20 Feb 2007 06:56:31 -0800

I just installed Oracle 10g XE on a RH Linux 4 host. It seems to be functioning correctly, but the Oracle XE installer did not install the application where I wanted it to go. It would not accept any effort on my part to tell it where to place the application. I created a special LVM filesystem specifically for Oracle XE, but the installer placed the whole application including the system and data files in the /usr/ lib directory. This filesystem is on a physical partition and I do not want to reinstall the OS just to make it bigger to accomodate Oracle XE. It seems to be that the only viable alternative is to move the data files (system, user, etc.) to the LVM filesystem that I originally created for it. I have moved non-XE data files (i.e. tables, etc.) using the alter command, but I have never moved system data files.

My question are:

  1. Can all the XE *.dbf files (system, data, logs, etc.) be moved to another filesystem without the XE crashing and burning?
  2. If so, what is the best way to do it without destroying the XE?
  3. For the future, can the Oracle XE installer be more flexible in where you place things? Or is this a case of "you get what you pay for - take it or leave it"?