Re: (newbie) How to get around table name qualification?

From: Jeroen ter Hofstede <jeroen.ter.hofstede_at_wanadoo.nl>
Date: 20 Feb 2007 00:12:30 -0800

On 19 feb, 16:28, "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:

> The use of Public synonyms would "map" the objects for all usernames
> that connect to the database; however, only those users who have been
> granted object privileges will be able to access the tables.
>
> create table table_a
> create public synonym table_a
> grant select on table_a to rolename
> grant rolename to userA, userB, userC.
>
> would allow userA, userB, userC but not userD to select rows from
> creator.table_a using the name table_a

Okay, I think that would be a possible solution. The code (that knows all the tables) could perform the

   create table table_a
   create public synonym table_a
   grant select on table_a to rolename
and we could have the DBA perform the
  grant rolename to userA, userB, userC.

In this way, the code would not have to know the user names. This assumes that it can use a predefined role with standard access rights (select, update, insert, delete); such a role does not seem to exist.

It starts to look like I'll have to write a batch of custom code to address Oracle, and have the user provide a number of extra settings. Well, so be it.

> For online documentation see http://tahiti.oracle.com

Unfortunately, one needs at least an idea for what one is looking to be able to find anything in that enormous pile - I lack too much basic Oracle knowledge for that, and I don't have the time to just start reading from the beginning.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Received on Tue Feb 20 2007 - 02:12:30 CST