Re: Table-level replication

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:52:01 -0800

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> DA Morgan schreef:

>> Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>> Daniel, are you not mixing up Advanced Replication and MV's?
>> I don't think so. A materialized view, on its own, will replicate data
>> but it is not asynchronous and the OP indicated the connection, at
>> times, may be down. Or at least that's my recollection and I'm sticking
>> with it. ;-)

> Erhm... MV's are refreshed when you like them to be refreshed.
> That's async to me

If you believe in manual intervention and always manually test to see that the connection is up and always do a complete refresh.

(apart from refresh groups, that can refresh
> synchronously/asynchronously - internal to the group).

The difference is that if the DB Link is down it doesn't automatically catch up ... streams does.

> Same for AR - AR uses MV's, or at least; it can.

>>> AR can be - MV's - nope
>> My point. And AR is not in the same galaxy, maintenance-wise as Streams.

> Streams would be a valid choice for the OP, but I find it a
> bigger nightmare than MV's - even with additional logging.

You've got to be kidding. ;-)

Streams is easy and there are a large number of live-demos on the web, such as mine at at www.psoug.org that are literally cut-and-paste jobs to put into use.

> MV's seem out of the question, as the OP wants parts of tables
> (this column yes, this not) only - not sure Streams can handle
> that, nor how conflict resolution works (which does work
> rather well with Advanced Replication)

Streams can handle it with ease.

--
Daniel A. Morgan